Hi! My name is Joe Zollo and I’m an IT and DevOps Engineer. This website will give you some insight into my skill and experience.
What I Believe
Fundamentally, technology exists to empower and enable the human race.
- MCSA: Windows Server 2008 & R2
- MCTS: Windows Server 2008 & R2 – Active Directory
- MCTS: Windows Server 2008 & R2 – Network Infrastructure
- VMware Certified Associated – Data Center Virtualization
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Server+
- Vulnerability & Threat Assessment w/Nessus
- IaaS: Amazon Web Services, Azure
- Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, ADFS, Group Policy
- Enterprise WiFi: Ubiquiti, Meraki, Ruckus
- Virtualization: VMware/Hyper-V/KVM
- Containers: Docker, Kubernetes
- Logging: Elasticsearch/Kibana/Logstash
- Continuous Integration: Jenkins, Bamboo, CircleCI
- Configuration Management: Chef, Puppet, Ansible
- Compliance: HIPAA, PCI-DSS
- Database: Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL/MariaDB/PostgreSQL
Sr. Site Reliability Engineer (MTS4) / VMware, Inc. / Sandy Springs, GA
- Job Code changed to Site Reliability Engineer in Oct. 2019
- Support End User Computing R&D
- Development and maintenance of internal applications
- Led project to migrate, scale and containerize several legacy, production grade applications.
- Played a key role in the development of several tools focused on self-service infrastructure – representing a full leased environment automation solution including VM, application and network components.
- Assisted the team lead and scrum master in project planning and scrum processes.
- Led successful collaborative efforts across multiple teams/orgs to promote re-usable automation (Ansible) code and best practices surrounding test automation (Molecule).
- Collaborated with SaaS team to foster the adoption of Windows Server 2019 Core in dev/production.
- Built and maintained an OS image pipeline supporting over 15 different templates including 3 blends of Linux and a variety of Windows Server versions.
- Provided guidance, training and mentorship to several junior engineers.
- Serving as PRIDE@VMware Global Communications Co-Chair, focused on using tooling and technology to improve ERG communications across VMware.
R&D Infrastructure Engineer (MTS3) / VMware, Inc. / Sandy Springs, GA
- Supported development operations & lab infrastructure for EUC Research & Development.
- Played key role in deploying EUC Reference Architecture components (WS1 Suite + Horizon), provided critical feedback to technical marketing team.
- Frequently challenged the status quo on the team by writing a variety of RFC’s to propose new tools, enhancements on existing tools, and improvements to internal processes.
- Worked to consolidate and standardize lab infrastructure components (AD, DNS, DHCP, IPAM) to ensure high reliability and availability.
- Speaker at MooseCon 2019 (internal security conference), discussed how to leverage Infrastructure-as-Code concepts in security engineering.
- Developed automation code to detect and remediate resource abuses inside lab environment.
- Developed a variety of internal tools to enable engineering efficiency and accelerate testing.
- Heavy Participation in Diversity & Inclusion efforts through VMware POD Communities.
- Received End User Computing Q1FY20 MVP Award.
Director of IT Services / CNR Technologies / Woodstock, GA
- Hybrid Role: 70% Technical / 30% Management
- Designed and taught security awareness training courses for large groups of non-technical users. Heavy focus on multi-factor authentication, social engineering and password best practices.
- Designed and implemented standardized deployment guidelines for Active Directory/Group Policy environment.
- Developed and led information security program to combat modern threat landscape. Worked with new and existing customers to perform compliance audits, penetration testing, and vulnerability assessments.
- Designed a comprehensive product stack including servers, firewalls, WiFi, antimalware and backup/recovery.
- Implemented SSO (ADFS 2.0/3.0, AAD Seamless SSO) & IDAM solutions for customers, integrating their existing on-premises or cloud-based directory platform (LDAP/AD/AzureAD).
- Designed Windows/Linux based cloud infrastructure to host customer applications (accounting, ERP, phone systems, etc) in a SaaS environment. Utilized Chef playbooks for automation where possible.
- Developed various PowerShell/Bash scripts to heavily automate business processes, including vulnerability management, operating system hardening and system health checks.
- Utilized analytics gathered from PSA/CRM systems to optimize workflows & target key areas for improvement.
- Responsible for managing all engineering team resources, searching for and interviewing new talent as needed.
- Led implementation of PSA/CRM/Project Management/Ticket system (Accelo) – utilized automation to drastically increase revenue, customer satisfaction, and decrease employee overhead/administrative work.
- Performed yearly employee performance evaluations, recommended for raises, terminations and promotions.
Senior Systems Engineer / CNR Technologies / Woodstock, GA
- Administer the systems and networks of over 100 business customers in a wide variety of industries such as healthcare, construction, manufacturing, flooring, legal and financial services.
- Provide consulting to corporate customers on IT solutions and infrastructure including but not limited to network design and development, information security, as well as technology upgrades that successfully meet the budget requirements and goals of customers.
- Built and presented detailed project plans and proposals for large scale IT projects for our customers.
- Develop and participate in VIP customer support program, providing high level IT support to executives, CEO’s and business owners.
- Provide daily support to customers with fully virtualized environments (vSphere & Hyper-V).
- Designed highly redundant, highly available infrastructure using vSphere HA, DRS, & shared storage (SAN).
Personal Projects / Homelab
- pfSense routing/firewall platform (FreeBSD) to run Suricata and Snort at the ingress/egress point for intrusion detection and prevention.
- Built internal Active Directory domain/certificate infrastructure with sync/SSO to Office 365/Azure AD.
- Open source Ansible Roles published on GitHub (github.com/joezollo) and Ansible Galaxy – PowerShell and Windows Admin Center.
- Maintain personal Office 365 E3 Developer license (Zollo.xyz) and G-Suite Business (Zollo.net) subscriptions for internal/testing use.
- Created secure, isolated VLANs for guest and IOT device traffic – applied traffic shaping and firewall rules to limit and inspect ingress/egress traffic.
- Created a fully redundant and highly available virtual server infrastructure (5 hypervisors) using a mix of Windows and Linux operating systems, running on Dell PowerEdge hardware – with shared storage over NFS and iSCSI (powered by FreeNAS).
- Built and maintained an on-premises web server running a powerful application stack (Ubuntu LTS: Nginx, MariaDB and PHP) for hosting a variety of WordPress sites for friends and family. Automated SSL certificate renewal via Traefik (Let’s Encrypt CA).
- Utilize HAproxy and Traefik for load balancing/ingress into the container overlay network.
- Built 3 node container cluster powered by Docker Swarm – run over a dozen internal applications backed by NFS persistent storage. Working towards rebuilding this cluster in Kubernetes.